Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Filmcap: The week of July 10-17


This week I watch two "kids" movies. One of them is rated PG-13, and the other is rated PG. I am willing to bet that more 10 year old kids saw the PG-13-rated movie than the PG-rated one. I talk about how the Harry Potter movies will be remembered forever, but not for their quality, and I also revisit a sweet film I've already reviewed on the blog before. 





Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -Part 2 (David Yates, 2011): The "Harry Potter" films will be probably be remembered years down the road not for their quality, but for their fandom and their financial success. Eight incredibly successful movies that held over fans from each to the next. I am a fan of the books, and while I never disliked the movies, I didn't much care for them either. The movies are almost straight adaptations of the books that keep the vast majority of the major plot elements (contrary to what some fan reactions might have you think). I always watched the films more out of curiosity than actually watching them with expectations. I enjoyed seeing what I read come to life, but what I remember will always be from the books which are set in worlds that is much more rich. Those who disagree with me on that are probably readers of the book, because their knowledge of the book does help watching the movie. If the films existed without any large book fandom, or no books at all, I highly doubt they would be this popular. Screenwriter Steve Kloves though has had a very difficult job adapting these books, not only due to the length of some of the later books, but also because of the loud fandom of the books and the fact that they need to be kept happy if the studio wants to keep on making money from these movies. Despite that, Kloves did a very adequate job in keeping the necessary plotlines and the fan favorite characters, to create a story that could at least make some sense to those who had not read the book.

The source material of "Deathly Hallows- Part 2" in particular, is a difficult book to adapt. You have to make sure the conclusion makes sense for those who had not read the book and that people don't feel let down. On that, Kloves did an okay job keeping most everything from the ending, but he shortened it all, which I think was unfortunate but had to be done (though the film could certainly been a half hour longer). More important though is the directors job on this last film. He has to make it appropriately emotional and epic considering the nature of this franchise and how popular and involving it has been. On that, I think David Yates did a fantastic job with the screenplay he had to work with (there wasn't a whole lot of spare time given in the screenplay). I like that Yates made the final battle even more epic than it was in the book, but I wish it had lasted longer and been more substantial. There was a lot that was amazing in the film, but it was all in small doses.

That's not to say I was disappointed in the film, as I was watching I was excited and enjoyed much of what was on screen. I wanted more, but I didn't complain with what I had. The film is definitely a great accomplishment and if you've grown up with "Harry Potter" you will have an emotional reaction to this film that no filmmaker would be able to replicate. I had that reaction as I finished the book, but I know that many will have that reaction with the movies. All the actors have grown up in front of our eyes and become good actors that I'm sure will have bright futures. David Yates has also shown a real control in the craft of filmmaking and I look forward to what he does next. Despite the missed opportunities and many nitpicks with the movies, I will always have the books. That's why even when the movies are remade in 20 years, I'll look forward to those as well.
Grade: B


Children of Heaven (Majid Majidi, 1997): This is a film I have already reviewed, and much of what I said in that review still stands. Occasionally I will watch a film that I have already reviewed on this blog a second time, and many times I will have more to say or will reconsider it in some matter. This time, I don't have much to reconsider. I said in the first review that I would certainly recommend it to families and children, and that's exactly how I watched it the second time, with my family, and it definitely works great in that context. It's a simple film with a simple message that should have be a great conversation starter for families and children. It's a great way to show other young people another culture they may not be all that aware of, and introduce them to morals that many times we forget in this country. It doesn't represent the highest artistry Iranian film can achieve, but it's an effective and important film nonetheless.
Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment