Tuesday, January 17, 2012

My Eight Favorite Albums of 2011


Contrary to every post I have posted, this is not exclusively a movie blog, and because the name is Being Samir I can post whatever I want, so here is my favorite music of 2011. I am not an expert on music and I never write about music but I hope readers find some music in this list that they have not heard before and end up taking a listen to. Coming up in the next couple weeks is my favorite of TV in 2011 and my favorite movies of 2011.





Some honorable mentions that just barely did not make the cut (in alphabetical order):

Black Up - Shabazz Palaces
Helplessness Blues - Fleet Foxes
House of Balloons - The Weeknd
Hurry Up, I'm Dreaming - M83 (if I made a top five songs of the year list, "Midnight City" would be on it)
Era Extrana - Neon Indian
Strange Mercy - St. Vincent
Undun - The Roots
Watch the Throne - Jay-Z and Kanye West
We're New Here - Gil Scott-Heron and Jamie xx ("Running" is another song that is absolutely amazing and might make a top five songs of the year list)


8. Real Estate
Days

Every song on this album sounds like it was so easy to make and put together, but on further listens you really realize how intricate and sharp this seemingly simple indie rock band is. 



7. Youth Lagoon
The Year of Hibernation



It's ambient at times, melodic at times, and rhythmic at times. But always completely sweet and elegant. 

Track to hear: Daydream - Youth Lagoon 


6. Washed Out
Within and Without



Drowned out (or should I say washed out) vocals and slow-moving electronics, but underneath the peaceful electronics is a sick beat. 

Track to hear: Amor Fati - Washed Out

5. Frank Ocean
Nostalgia, Ultra



The most honest R&B/pop singer out there whose intense and emotional lyrics match his beautiful singing. Frank Ocean really knows how to craft a song. 


4. Kurt Vile
Smoke Ring for My Halo



The guitar chords are similar to the ones in the Real Estate album, but the sound is so much more dirtier and melancholy. Also, Vile's voice makes him the Bob Dylan of 2011.



3. Bon Iver
Bon Iver



After a great first album that represented the best of sophisticated folk music, Bon Iver returned with an not-so-folk album that took it all not just to the next level, but to the level after that as well. 

Track to hear: Perth - Bon Iver



2. Radiohead
The King of Limbs


Radiohead always seem to be ahead of the curve, and with this album they take their brand of unique "rock" music and combine it with a new wave of British post-dubstep to create a sound that is completely unlike any other band out there. 

Track to hear: Feral - Radiohead


1. James Blake
James Blake


They call the music that James Blake makes "post-dubstep," but really the music isn't post or pre any other genre. Blake created his own beautiful, meditative, and exciting sound.

Track to hear: I Mind - James Blake


No comments:

Post a Comment