Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Bellflower (2011)


Director: Evan Glodell

First-time filmmaker Evan Glodell has made a film I quite respect for its massive ambitions, but not one that I can say is very successful. The movie shows the rise and fall of a relationship, but there also flame-throwers and muscle cars. Glodell made his own cameras and muscle car to achieve the very unique look of the movie that stands out, but the story itself seems to morph into a big blob of incoherent testosterone rampaging in the second half. I wish the film had been more successful in translating the post-apocalyptic  feelings that one gets when a relationship ends, but instead the part where that's supposed to happen is a bit too over-the-top. I wouldn't call Bellflower a bad movie, but I wouldn't call it a good one either. But it's unique enough that I think the time spent watching it was certainly worth it.

Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment